Centuries of history since the Norman Conquest
The Sarsden estate has had many owners over the centuries. After the Norman Conquest the de Vernon family were lords of the manor, later followed by the de Noers, the Barrantynes, the Hattons, the Walters, the Langstons, the Earl of Ducie and in recent years Shaun Woodward MP. The Lords of the Manor once owned the village of Churchill but the land and properties were sold to private individuals in 1922. Details of the sale can be seen at the Heritage Centre.
Sarsden House itself was rebuilt by William Walter in 1689 after a serious fire. In 1792 James Langston inherited the house and commissioned Humphry Repton to landscape the grounds. In 1825 his architect son George Stanley Repton remodelled the house itself (see above) and also redesigned the dower house, Sargrove House, which lies just over a mile away.
During the second world war American and British soldiers were billeted at Sarsden. Nissen huts were erected for the men but officers had access to the house itself. The soldiers left behind vivid murals illustrating their memories of the village – sadly these are not on public display! For much more information please visit the Heritage Centre.
The parish church of St James, adjoining the house, was built in 1760 and was extended by the younger Repton in 1823. It was again remodelled in 1896 when a bellcote was added. It ceased to be used regularly in 1990 and was finally closed in 1992, although it served as a temporary place of worship while structural work took place at All Saints, Churchill.